Book Sale Volunteer
Book Sale Staff Volunteers
- Greeter: meet people at the door, orient them with a map
- Membership sales: at the front door with greeter if people want to join Friends of the Library
- Unpacking and stacking books: pre-sale activity to put books on tables, also during the sale as books are discarded in odd spots or not purchased they need to be reshelved.
- Totaling book purchases: as people leave the sale with a box of books the prices need to be tallied for the books they are purchasing
- Check out: take money and give change
- Hospitality: presence in the volunteer break room
- Set Up & Clean Up: before and after the sale
Pre-sale Book Sorting Room Volunteers
Book room volunteers assist in the sorting and packing of books for our two sales each year. In addition, occasional pricing of books according to guidelines may be required. We do not need volunteers for the book sorting room at this time.
Skills and Physical Requirements
- Book sorters must be detail-oriented to examine every book
- Previous experience with book sales or book sorting is helpful, but not necessary
- Requires standing for 2-3 hours
- Bending and stretching to the lowest and highest shelves
- Absence of allergies to dust or mold
- Monday, Wednesday or Friday from 9 am -12 noon
- Positions are occasional, seasonal, or year round, as the volunteer’s schedule permits. Most volunteers work once a week.
Book Sale Committee Volunteers
In coordination with the Book Room and Administrative Staff, the Book Sale Committee plans and participates in two annual used book sales with the primary goal of generating significant revenue in support of the Friends’ mission. The fall sale is held in Portland and the spring sale in the Gresham area.
Under the guidance of the Chair, Committee members’ responsibilities include:
- Making policy decisions with regard to donated materials and book sales, such as pricing structures and online activities.
- Contributing to the positive profile of the Friends in our community by providing members and the general public with timely and accurate information on book sales and related issues.
- For those Committee members who are also Board members, making recommendations to the Executive Committee regarding the selection of Book Room staff.
- Coordinating with volunteers and staff to accomplish all of the components of successful book sales including: selection, preparation and cleanup of the venue; publicity; staffing; training; procurement of supplies and equipment; volunteer management and recognition; security and safety; fiscal accountability; statistical analysis; and Board reports.
- Implementing Board policies.
First Friday of the Month, 9:30 am
Book Sorting Room, Multnomah County Library Administration Building
205 N. Russell, Portland, Oregon
In addition to attending monthly meetings, members are asked to participate in sub-committees and book sale activities immediately prior to, during and after the sales.